Sunday, September 21, 2008

Private or Not Private?

I've gone back and forth with the idea.

I love reconnecting w/ old friends and family members via my blog and would hate to lose that accessibility. There is nothing more frustrating for me, a totally non creepy blog stalker, to try and access a blog to find that I'm not authorized. Especially when I don't have an email address for said blog holder. Dead end road.

BUT, I have kiddies to worry about and don't know that going private is all too bad of an idea. I post lots of pics about my children and our goings on. But how private is private, really? Am I kidding myself to think that those who want access to my personal information don't alreay know ways around the blogger sign in? Or, is it creep free? Ugh.

Anyway, totally curious about what you think.

p.s. If I do go private, I am happy to add you, your friends, your friend's friends, you mom, her dog and your aunt Millie - as long as I have email addresses sent to me. I trust those I know and love and have faith that they, in turn, trust those around them. Just afraid of the total strangers with interest in things not-so-great. I'm happy to share, just want to play it safe...possibly.

8 comments:

Rachael said...

I totally hear what you are saying. I struggle with the same thing seeing I've gotten some weird comments from strangers. I think I might just go private...

Beau & Lenette said...

I've debated going private too, but I often wonder if it would really make a difference in keeping my children safe. I've never heard of anything creepy happening because of a blogsite and I've even tried to research it. Have you heard of anything? I really would like to know.

I try really hard not to post anything that is too telling like my address (although if they are that persistant it wouldn't be to hard to find), or when I'll be out of town. I always post away visit after the fact.

I've only had one weird comment and once I removed my site address from search engines I haven't had another one. I think I've taken the best percautions that I can, and so for now I'll stay open. Unless something changes or I hear of something scary directly linked to a blog.

Lana said...

oh no! don't go private, I just found you and awnt to copy your cute blocks for our super saturday. Can I just steal a photo?
You family is super cute!

cortnieb said...

I was having the same thougts about 6 or 7 mos ago and decided to go private just cause I didn't realize that peeps could take pics off my blog and do whatever they wanted to with them!! I wasn't worried about peeps being able find me per say but when a friend of mine told me about websites that creepy men have that have yucky problems I IMMEDIATELY went private, but that is just me...you're a great mom and you will know what to do!!

stephanie said...

whatever you decide is fabulous but add me to your list! here's my email winters_10@hotmail.com
btw - i'm totally copying your darling project ideas!

Margaret said...

Debated the exact same thing! Heard some scary stories so even though evil people can turn good things bad you have to still take percautions when it comes to your family. Thats why I have hesitated to blog more of my kids.You are such a good blogger I that you should just go private and add me to your list. It is so much more controlled that way. But I have retired from blogging.

Monica said...

I have heard alot about this topic and so far I have not had the need to go private. I have three people that blog and they are going or are private. They Saw Oprah talking about it and it scared them to death. I myself did not see this.

Krystal said...

I love the idea. We just took ours private. Not that I've even had any weirdos (that I know of anyway) but you just never know. Good luck with the decision!

Krystal

Blog Widget by LinkWithin