Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A Fitting Tribute

So, since I wrote it last night at work, this morning’s post counts as one for the 1st.

I’m going to post every day for the month. Here’s #2.

And, I’m going to start with some good ‘ole fashioned boyfriend appreciation. I love me some Beau, and here’s why:

He is loyal to the end. He’s a fantastic friend, neighbor, son and brother. And, even when it’s overlooked by others, he’s still there for anyone in an instant if needed – regardless of anything.

He loves me. Sounds trite and a little self-obsorbed, but there is nothing sexier than a guy who can love unconditionally. And my guy’s sexy to the core. If he loves you, he’ll love you forever. The loyalty (see above) knows no bounds.

He is hands-down, the most hard-working person I’ve ever met. Never a complaint, never a groan, just pride in his work and in his reputation as an employee.

He plays with his kids – every night. His time with them might be somewhat limited due to the comment above, but he makes the most of the time he has. I love to watch the kids get excited to see him in the evenings. I love it when they want to call daddy at work to give him the news of a small accomplishment in their day. And I love it when I come home to find him asleep with one of them in his arms.

On any me-centered holiday (birthday, Mother’s Day, etc.), he always scribes a sweet note in a thoughtful card. Never fail, it’s always done. And he puts thoughts into his gifts. He’ll remember a comment made months earlier; a simple wish for something I’ll inevitably forget about will be wrapped and ready for my enjoyment come gift time.

He is one of the most approachable and friendly people in this world. He greets everyone with a smile and a firm handshake, or (if you’re especially lucky) a Big Beau Ballard Hug. He remembers names easily and makes people feel important almost immediately. It’s a real gift.

He folds the laundry the way I like it. He might tease me about it, but he knows that - for whatever obsessive-compulsive reasoning - it’s important to me and he obliges. And the sick reality is that this comment is really blog-worthy. His doing that is that awesome to me. I have a problem.

He’s a guy’s guy, but he’ll watch a chick flick any time I want to. He even went to see “Juno” on a rare date night out – totally not his forte. Now that’s love.

He says “fustrated” for frustrated, “burger” for booger, and “booger” for burger and no mater how many times I tease him about it, he can’t hear that he’s doing it. It used to “frustrate” me, but now I love it.

He gets handsomer (word?) every day. And even though he’s extremely self-critical, I think he’s fantastic – both inside and out. As a mom, sometimes it’s easy to feel underappreciated or under recognized when comments continually flow in about how much your kids look just like your husband, I did – after all – do all the work. But having all three so closely resemble Beau is the best I could hope for. I just pray they leave our care with more than his handsomeness and charisma; I crave for them his strength of character, too.

And even when stuck in the unavoidable monotony of our lives, I know deep down that he longs for time together as much as I do. Time without kids (as much as we love them, a break would be nice), time without worry or stress (even if it’s still in play, time with out focus on such situations), time without time restraints. And somehow, just knowing he wants that time, too can be enough…sometimes.

At the end of this month is my sweet-husband’s 28th birthday. I intend on showing him how much I appreciate him every day starting now.

Too bad he doesn’t read my blog.

2 comments:

Kim and Chet said...

Well he should read it! :) You do have a great guy and he has a great gal! We are so happy he picked you:) Sorry nobody told you about Labor Day, I think everybody thought your WHOLE family went south. :(

Margaret said...

Wow! It's crazy reading about beau because Dustin is alot like how you descibe him. It must be in the Ballard boy Genes.We sure are lucky to have married such fine young men.
Although,Dustin is very funny he is always cracking me up about something. Gotta love the men in our lives!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin