Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mama Delimma

I watched Oprah the other day, too. And now, I'm more paranoid than ever.

This little girl wants to play outside with her friends. She's only three. Her friends roam the neighborhood regularly, have friendships, ride bikes. Is my paranoia ruining that experience for her?




I wish I felt safe letting her ride her bike without me hovering. I'm happy to let them all play in my backyard (that's fenced in and has a "guard dog" present at all times). They can all come over to play anytime they want - I have fruit snacks and juice cups ready.

Just before writing this, after already knowing I wanted to post on this subject, I sat in the doorway watching the girls play and taking the above pictures. A car slowed approaching our house, only to speed up once I was noticed watching. Maybe not, maybe the two men were searching for an address or visiting a friend - but I panicked. I've just come to the conclusion that I'd rather be the overprotective mom who has her kids home safe tucked in at night than the mom who trusted too much and something happened.

I just don't trust other people with my kids. Not yet, anyway.

Am I crazy?

13 comments:

Rachael said...

You're not crazy at all! It's a scary world. I just let my 4th grader walk home from school by herself for the first time ever...I gave her my cell phone and made her talk to me the whole way home....

shannon said...

no, you're not crazy. i don't EVER let Collin play outside without one of us watching. it's just the world we live in now-a-days and we have to adjust.

Chelsea said...

It's sad that our world is so fraught with paranoia that kids can't be kids and run around and play anymore. I don't have kids yet so I can't say you're being overprotective, but my thoughts in general are that we've created this need for paranoia and the cycle gets worse and worse with each generation. Yes, we live in a world that's much different than the one we grew up in, and our kids will miss out on the neighborhood night games and riding bikes throughout the neighborhood on explorations and adventures, but maybe, just maybe, peoples' paranoia has put evil and harmful thoughts in the minds of others.

Like I said, I can't really make any kind of judgment until I have kids of my own. It would definitely depend on the kind of neighbors and neighborhood we live in. Right now we live in a cul-de-sac and we have kids playing outside all the time, but there aren't people just randomly driving by. If they're on our street it's because they live here or are visiting someone who does.

Just be wary but let her be a kid :) She won't want to be too far from you/home until she's at least 11 and upset because she can't have her own cell phone ;)

Sonda said...

Good for you-you're not crazy. But there are other people out there that are, which is why we all have paranoia. I won't let my 8 year old play out front unless I'm watching. The fenced backyard is great for everyone. Protect your kids with all you've got!!!

Jiles Pfamily said...

i saw that episode of oprah too and ever since i have kinda felt sick to my stomach and super paranoid. i don't feel like i can trust anyone now.

Beau & Lenette said...

no way, you're so not crazy! If you're paranoid then so am I and it's not a bad thing at all! I couldn't sleep that night after watching that episode. I cried and cried and realized that I'm the parent and I'm the only one that can protect my kids. If that makes me an obnoxious mom then so be it, I will do whatever I can to protect my kids and keep them safe. I've already decided that they will NEVER be sleeping over at anyone's house! Crazy?....maybe, but they are more important then caring whether or not people think I'm crazy!

cortnieb said...

Evonne you are not being paranoid or at least I say that cause I feel the exact same way you do!!! I watched the same Oprah and bawled through most of the show!! The people in this world that harm children are beyond hideous and make me sick to my stomach!!
P.S. I LOVE your holiday blocks!! Wanna make me some and I will pay you for them?!! I am NOT a crafty person, but I AM a fantastic SHOPPER!! Just thought I would throw it out there and see what you thought!!! :o)

jami said...

No I don't think your crazy. I am the same way with Jadi. I honestly don't think 3 and 4 year olds are old enough to understand stranger danger enough that they can be trusted to play out side alone. I would rather be safe than sorry!

Josh and Shalae said...

Absolutely not! I would be the same way. At 3 years old they are not old enough to roam the neighborhood alone. I'm with you all the way.

Kim and Chet said...

There is NOTHING wrong with being a protective parent. Especially in these times. Unfortunately for our kids it's forced us to be more careful but I just know that I would die if something happened to one of them when it could've been prevented by a watchful eye. I'm still not comfortable with letting Kylee ride her bike to her friends house by the school alone and she's 13! It's worth driving them there just to make sure they're safe.

Jocelyn said...

You are not crazy, no way. It might be cliche... but I'd MUCH rather be safe than sorry!

Mands Glenn said...

Seriously that Oprah show did some major damage to all of us Mommies. I couldn't watch the whole thing and the parts I saw I totally talked to Jordan about it forever when he got home. I think I want to have all slumber parties at my house. I don't think I will let my kids go to slumber parties unless they are cousins or relatives. You are not nuts. I feel the same way.

hillary said...

Chelsea & I don't see eye to eye on this (I just read her comment!). I told her a couple of weeks ago about our no sleepover policy & she thinks I'm too overprotective & that my kids will be in a bubble (not a direct quote). But I don't care - I'd rather have people annoyed or offended that we won't let our kids sleep over than have somebody do something to my kids. Isn't it half the time family members or close family friends that molest kids anyway?!!! One of my best friends told me that more than half of the girls her husband seriously dated before they met had been molested! That's crazy! So no, I don't think you're being overprotective by not letting your kids play out front by themselves! You're being responsible! And I think parents who let their kids wander without supervision are idiots & asking for problems!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin