Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Confession

When Layne first came home from the hospital, after a week-long stint in the NICU, I left him in the car while shopping at Wal-Mart.

My mom had the girls and, because I hadn't had him with me for a week of running around, I totally spaced that I had a brand new sweet babe in the back seat sleeping away. About 15 minutes into my shopping trip, while in the checkout line, I panicked. Visions of stolen vehicle, missing baby and exposure to the elements haunted my mind. Luckily it was March (cool outside), I was parked near the entrance (quick access to my baby after realization), and he slept peacefully (so no added guilt of a crying baby found).

*Whew* Glad to have that off my chest. Please tell me I'm not the only mom to drop the ball.

p.s. I didn't blog yesterday, and I totally feel guilty about dropping the ball so close to the end of my month-long goal. I'll just have to get over it, I guess.

p.p.s. Layne's incision/belly button are now infected so we took another jaunt up to PCMC for a look at it and an Rx for a heavy dose of antibiotics. I have a picture, but it's kind of grossy to posty.

3 comments:

Beau & Lenette said...

I'm such space case, I'm always worried that I will do that. I did almost leave Kerrigan at the jewelry counter in Target once, just after she was born (not used to pushing around a baby). Then Beau left Kerrigan in her crib when he took the girls for a walk. He didn't even remember he had left her until he came home. It happens to the best of us!

Kim and Chet said...

I have done that before. It's the worse feeling in the world. I wasn't planning on taking Hunter with me to the store but did anyway and totally forgot that I'd decided to take him. Luckily it wasn't too hot outside and it was an in and out trip but I wanted to throw up it made me so sick to think I'd done that!

Rachael said...

If it makes you feel any better...your cousin (my husband) left our 18 month old Ethan asleep in the stroller at Disneyland after stopping off for a bite to eat while the girls and I waited to catch a Bug's Life ride...After he returned and I asked where our son was, he thought I was kidding. Then he realized that he did indeed have him and quickly raced back to get him only to be glared at by two protective grandmas....and that wasn't the first time he left one of our children...Raya was just a baby and he left her in the car while picking up pizza... Guess it runs in your guys' genes :-)I, on the other hand, have not left kids in the car, but am guilty of not buckling them up on a car ride :-(

Blog Widget by LinkWithin