Monday, October 08, 2007

Christmas Prep

So, I have a question to send out to the masses.

Shanna, Tiffany and I are planning to make 72-hour kits (backpacks) for all of the kids as Christmas gifts. I'm really excited, but don't know where to start. So comes the question:

Is there a list I can find somewhere that will tell me everything I need to have in a backpack for LITTLE KIDS? I'm sure I can figure it out myself, but I don't want to invent the wheel if I don't have to. I have found lots of information on kits - all very similar, but I would love to find one that is specific for small children (you know, with realistic things that they'll eat, play with, etc.).

HELP!

I know there are super-mammas out there who already have their kits made. Is it you? :) (Blogstalkers included - share, please!)

2 comments:

Cami Jo said...

I recently finished all of our 72-hour kits, but I just used the same list for the adults as the children. The list reminded me to remember the basic things like Diapers, formula, etc. but I wanted to know details too. We ended up having an Enrichment night on it, and they gave me lots of ideas. Coloring books and crayons, fruit snacks, a couple of toys they like, but aren't necessarily attached to. Cothes and PJ's, (always a little extra big)and granola bars. I think everyones will be different, depending on what your kids eat and like to play with. Just check out some lists online, (the redcross had a very detailed list)and they usually have the basic requirements for children as well. Oh, I also stuck a package of baby wipes in ALL of our kits. They are so useful! (Cleaning, sanitizing, wiping a bum...you get the point.) Hope that helps at all.

PS: Remember, you may have a lot of ideas to put in them, but their is only so much room in a backpack. I quickly found this out, and had to make some adjustments!

shannon said...

dude, i have no clue...but cami knows what she's talking about. they also have that store called Emergency Essentials that is awesome (there's one here in Orem). They have cookbooks that ROCK to tell you what to make with your flour and lentils that you've been storing for years. Maybe take a day and write down everything you use for them in a day, and then weed out the non-essential items and there ya go! But i think a portable DVD player with lots of batteries might be included???

Blog Widget by LinkWithin