Friday, December 12, 2008

Going Private

No, I'm not just yet. I guess I'm just wondering what the deal is lately.

Everyone is going private.

I've even thought about it. I just can't find any concrete anything on the pros or cons. I've heard opinions and fears, but really what is someone going to do with the little tid-bits I have to share occasionally online? Even if I do go private, whose to say that the pervs online with savvy computer skills can't still gain access to whatever they want. I mean, we use the internet, we're already taking a risk, right? Plus, what do I really have on my blog that can be used for any real threatening purpose? (again I ask because I haven't heard an answer that convinces me just yet) And who am I to live in fear? I'm a mother of 3 kids 3 and under and I drive on I-15 in Utah already; you know I'm brave.

Anyway...

This isn't a knock on all of you that have decided to go private, I'm just trying to be more educated on the issue. I somehow, at this point, feel more empowered NOT going private, but that could change. Can someone enlighten me? I can't promise that you'll change my mind either way, but...
I'm open to change. Just call me Obama.

8 comments:

Beau & Lenette said...

everything you said is exactly why I've chosen not to go private as well! I've searched and searched for anything linked to bloging and I haven't found anything. And no one has shared with me anything that has happened to them. I've taken the best precautions that I can, but like you said if someone is determined it does matter what you do. Anyway, I'm in the "Not Going Private Club" too. I'm open to change as well, but please don't call me Obama! LOL!

Diane Dimond said...

I just love that you found me! i have always thought you had the cutest family. I think your adorable. This will be a great way to stay in touch!

Fernandez Family said...

Ego...always my hero. I love your explanation and totally agree with you. But it doesn't change that tiny voice inside. I know my blog isn't exactly perv material worthy, but I know I'm bound to share so much more knowing that old friends and for hells bells, old flames, don't get a window into my current life. Who cares, right? Perhaps my attempt at leaving my past in the past and enjoying my present. So here's to trying, and we'll see how that goes.

Josh and Shalae said...

I agree with you. I don't think going private necessarily does you any good with all those computer savvy people out there. I have considered it as well but I like to blog stalk too much and I hate going to a blog that is blocked. I'm not ready to make myself one of them just yet:) Anyhow, if you do find anything that would change my mind please let me know. Thanks!

Mands Glenn said...

Girlfriend,
The best I can give you is it was that" inner feeling, little voice." Basically it was the spirit telling me to go private and I have been kind of denying it for awhile. I just needed to follow it. I really don't know what will come of it except the fact that old friends won't be able to find me, I will get less comments,but really. . . this is my family journal and thats how I want to keep it. Love ya!

Kim and Chet said...

It was a big pain in the butt! Most of the family couldn't see my blog especially if they didn't have one of their own. I also found out from my sis in law, who went private, that even after doing so someone, who was computer savy, found a way to get into and she told me how you can. I have since tried it on several private blogs and was amazed at how easy I could still get in and view their blogs. So, to me...either way if some perv really wants to get in and view it, they will find a way. And I really want family to be able to view b/c that's who it's for anyway.

Ashley said...

Yeah..I went private and actually undid that today! It's sooooo annoying!! The point in having a blog is so people can look at it.. when you go private noone can. If people want to stalk us, they'll stalk us anyway...just don't give out your schedule or address or info like that and I'm sure we'll all be GREAT!

Julie said...

i'm with Amanda. after i watched the oprah on online porn i had that little nagging feeling/voice. here's the deal. i'm not scared that someone will find me and take my kids or anything like that. i'm scared that some perv will take something as innocent as a photo of one of my kids eating a popsicle and photoshop it into something sick and wrong. my basic fear is that there could be potentially pornographic images of my children out there because someone took something innocent and turned it into something perverted. maybe i have a wild imagination but after i made the decision to go private the nagging feeling/voice went away. Even though, i admit, i sometimes think about going back public. not as many people check it now!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin