Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Break a Leg



Yep, Tatum's been at it again. :) Those of you that know my daughter, know she's the most accident prone kid ever. Not that she even had a fighting chance with me as her mother and Beau as her father, but we did have hope.

On Sunday she was jumping on the trampoline at Beau's grandma and grandpa's house and was brought in the house crying. The kids are usually VERY careful with her, so I didn't really know what happened, but she was having a hard time putting any pressure on her right leg. We just assumed she'd sprained or rolled her ankle. We quickly took her home, iced it and elevated it. She slept through the night just fine, but when she woke up in the morning she was still unable to walk on it. Just to be safe, I called her pediatrician.

I found a sitter for Hayden and took her to Dr. Terashima at 11am. He was very concerned because it wasn't sprained and feared that it could be a break. We were then scheduled an appointment w/ a ortho surgeon at Jordan Valley Hospital. After some x-rays and and exam, it was determined that she did, in fact, fracture her fibula. Poor kid!



She was a trooper, though, and gave no fuss when she got her "purple band-aid" on. She's been showing it off to everyone that will see and is getting really good at hobbling around. I've even made her a make shift "cast shoe" so that she has some traction on the bottom of the cast. If she doesn't have this on, it's like ice skating on any kind of smooth surface. And, I found out after going to several medical supply places, no one carries a pediatric version of the official shoe. So I rigged it. It's made out of the most hideous Barbie sandal from Wal-Mart, but it's perfect for her needs. I was pretty proud!



Anyway, we're all well now and Tatum is just getting frustrated at her limited mobility. But she's also pretty happy laying in bed watching "Dragon Tales".

11 comments:

Lisa Danielson said...

Oh my gosh!! Poor Tatum! I cannot believe she broke her leg. When will she get it off? Poor mama! let me know if you need me to watch Hayden or if you need anything.

Seriously... said...

poor thing! how long is she in it for? I'm surprised i have never had a broken bone to deal with (on me, or my kids). I hope it heals quick....cool shoe...you should market it!

James Yvonne and Elise said...

I do love the purple cast. Poor thing. How sad. I hope you are all hanging in there. Love ya!
Yvonne

Mands Glenn said...

Ughhh,that is such a sad little picture of her on the bed with that sad face. So sorry. You hate to see your kids hurting. I cry when I accidently cut Lillys fingers too short. Good luck with everything. I totally miss you guys!

Fernandez Family said...

Just when I thought you had been through it all. Seriously - you are totally going to be my go-to friend for all the advice on what to do. My child, although disruptive and seems to have anger management issues (totally my child) has yet to enter the bump, bruise and cut stage of life...i feel it coming! Poor Tatum - she is so cute.

Kimm said...

Poor Tatum.....She looks like she is a trooper! Atleast she didn't hit a deer on roller blades!!!

angie j. said...

Oh EGO! I'm so sorry - what a horrible thing to go through. Hopefully she'll learn to be more careful with an enormous cast on. Poor girl...

shannon said...

That's so awful...poor thing! i hope she's doing better, you know that had to hurt! at least she gets to lay in bed and be pampered...can i break my leg?

Beau & Lenette said...

So sorry to see such a sweetie look so sad :(. I hope it heals quickly!

jami said...

I can't believe she broke her leg! I am so sad for her. I hope she gets feeling better soon. How long does she have to have the cast on?

Jocelyn said...

Oh that sad face makes me sad. Sorry to hear she broke her leg. What a sad day. Hopefully she won't have to have her cast for too long.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin