Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Just Say No to Crack

No, I'm not talking about Beau's lack of coverage in the "behind" area (if you know Beau, you know his troubles). I'm talking about the dangerous mix of an almost-1-year-old and a flight of stairs.

Background Information: Our house has two half-flights of stairs, joined in the middle by a front door landing. The top flight has wood trim on either side of the stairs, with carpet in the middle. That should help you understand how it all happened.

Yesterday, Hayden managed to escape my watchful eye and made it halfway up the stairs. When I noticed she was gone (it wasn't very long - the kid is FAST), I found her on her way up the second set of stairs. She is pretty steady on them - going up and going down - but not quite the "stair master" just yet. When she saw me coming, she got excited and tried to go up faster, thinking it was a chase game. When she turned around to see where I was, she lost her balance and fell downstairs. I managed to catch her, but not before her little forehead hit right on the edge of the wood at the bottom stair.

Now, for all the newer mom's out there that don't know, head wounds bleed like a mother. It was everywhere. I did manage to clean it up and get a good look - it didn't look too deep and it certainly wasn't too wide, so I opted not to go in for stitches. Once calmed down, I bandaged her up and got her to relax for a bit with some ice on it. After a few hours, though, she'd gone through a couple of bandaids. I guess not in the way you are picturing - I could have left them on - she didn't bleed completely through. I'm just anal and had to put a new one on after it soaked through to the front. Anyway, I called the doctor for reassurance. I was starting to feel like the mom that says "You don't need to go to the doctor! I survivied worse as a kid!" and was feeling really guilty. Of course I would take her if she needed to go, but I also didn't want to be the mom that they send home and laugh at later for taking her daughter to the emergency room for a scratch. After some conversation with Dr. Terashima's office, I was assured that she'd be just fine, but to watch for severe bleeding, odd behavior and an infected wound-site.

So far, so good. She's just working on making the band-aid a fashion statement.

5 comments:

shannon said...

poor thing, but i am totally with you on the doctor thingie. although i hate when they tell you on the phone that you better come in, and when you do, it's totally nothing. love the band aid look, you should put a Dora one or a NASCAR one on there!

angie j. said...

Ego - so sorry little Hayden has a spill. We had two trips to the emerg with Mari. And you're right, they bleed so bad! Hopefully she'll heal quickly.

Lisa Danielson said...

Sounds like a rough day! She is such a cutie! We've had our share of ER visits and almost CAT scans in the past few weeks. Mommyhood can be bloody!

Audrey said...

cutest head bandage I have seen!! I love how she is still so happy, although I am sure she has a pretty good head ache. Poor thing, and poor mom.

Cami Jo said...

poor girl! I hope she gets over it. Carson got hit in the face with a bat (toy bat) yesterday and has a huge bruise on his cheek. Kind of looks like I beat him. I guess kids learn to live with bumps and bruises. Mine have.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin