Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Today I am grateful for:
Seasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm a California girl at heart. I never used to think it was odd to go to the pumpkin patch in shorts or to go to the beach on Christmas morning. But now that I've officially lived in Utah longer than I've lived everywhere else combined, I think it's safe to call myself a local. We have rainy, muddy and flowering springs; triple digit, snow cone, swim-filled summers; orange, cool and leafy autumns; snowy, crisp and cozy winters. And I really do love them all.
Self-Esteem. I wish this were supplied in endless amounts and that every adult in the world always did their best to build our kids up. I know it's not always the case, but dammit, I'm gonna try. And the best I can do is to start with my own family. I hope my kids always know how special and beautiful they are. And if I have to remind them every day of their lives, I will. That's my job...I'm the mama.
Siblings. I love when people ask me how many kids are in my family. Well...it's complicated. Not because there are so many - really only 5. But the way we all fit together is pretty un-conventional. And yet, it works. I won't get into the details of the semantics - they don't really matter. Just know that I'm a lucky girl to have them all. And another bonus - no one tells you that one of the great things about getting older is that you just keep earning more! My husband's siblings, their spouses, my brothers' significants. I feel very blessed.
Sisters. I didn't get one for 14 years, but it was so worth the wait. I have the most amazing, selfless, focused, beautiful, smart, funny, loyal, fun-loving, kind and compassionate sister in the world. If you know her, you how much of an understatement this description really is. She is what I hope for my girls to someday be.
Santa Claus. I love the tradition of giving. I like that my children have a real belief in someone who gives unconditionally and makes the world happy. I know there is deeper meaning to be had {and we focus on that specifically, too), but the symbolism that Santa brings is a big deal in our house. Plus, I love playing the role. Not in a freaky-what-are-the-Ballards-into way. But before I had children, I never really got it. The joy in their faces when they wake up on a cold morning to find warmth and love in the living room is priceless. And new bikes don't hurt, either.
Suckers. The end all, cure-all in our house. At almost any given time, you can find enough to treat 20 kids in my purse. Sometimes a mom needs a bribe.
Stain Remover. I have three kids. Need I say more?
{I will finish this grateful list}
I think I can.
I think I can.
I think I can.
Labels: favorites
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I was wondering if you were going to finish it...lol!
Post a Comment