Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Christmas Decorations

I've got everything up besides our tree and outside lights. It feels good to have everything out and in it's place - there is something about Christmas decorations that make a home feel a little more home-y. And I'm not talking Snoop Dogg, yo. :)

This may be boring for most of you, but this is a great venue for me to post pictures of boring things that moms like to see when they are far away. So, please bear with me. Mom, Cheryl - these are for you so you can get a feel of what Christmas is like in our new home!

Lots of loves from us to you.


This is on our front door. Last month it was turkeys, this month it's stockings. I'm still bugged that my "s" is slightly higher than the rest. Those of you that know me know that I'll probably fix that before too long. But here's what it is as of now. What will next month be? Ooooooooo.....the suspense. :)

This is on the inside of our front door. I found this great double wreath hanger so on the front I can hang our welcome sign and on this side I can have a wreath for Christmas. This red matches our living room so well, I'm sometimes tempted to leave it up all year long!

This is a nothing craft - all I did was "modge podge" paper to the front of wooden letters. Kind of an experimental craft that I started last year and had to refine this week. I think it turned out pretty darn cute, if you ask me! Now, if Tatum would stop trying to knock them off of the TV!

Shanna and I made these last night. Another easy, pre-cut wooden craft. But he sure adds a little to the living room. I can't tell you how much I love the $8 hand sanders we found last week. They really do save quite a bit of time when doing things like this!

This is the other project from yesterday. I'm especially excited about how these candy canes turned out because they were a beast to paint. We ended up trimming the edges with black magic marker to make them look cleaner and when we sanded them down, it acutally gave it a cuter look. Tate's been realitively kind to these, surprising considering how close they are to her level. I wonder how she'll do with the ornaments on the tree?

This year I actually have somewhere to hang our stockings! The banister that sits behind our big couch is the perfect place. I found a new stocking for Beau (it's got a cowboy feel to it) so now we all have full sized stockings for Santa to fill!

We made these last year at Shanna's Super Saturday (that sounds like an event when her name's attached to it like that). They make for a great centerpiece on the table that I'm still totally in love with two weeks later. I want my barstools to arrive, though!

7 comments:

shannon said...

very cute! i LOVE the candy canes as well, so darling!

Fairy Leigh said...

Wow! Those are all great:) Seems like you are really enjoying your new home for the holidays!

Love you all,
Mom/Mamaw

Anonymous said...

I love the candy canes, do you have directions you could share on how to make them, like how you got the paper on the wood? I know it should be easy, but this is me we are talking about with crafts, I am craftarded.

Best,
Colleen

Evie B. said...

The candy canes are relatively easy. We actually painted them with red and white stripes and drew a straight line to separate with black permanent marker. Sand, stain and hang. The hard part is finding the wood if you aren't local. Here in Utah there is a place called the Wood Connection where you can buy all of the wood pre-cut. Hope that helps!

Fairy Leigh said...

CRAFTARDED???? That is the funniest word I've heard in a long time:) hehehe

Anonymous said...

E-
Would you mind directions for the JOY.....Orlando really liked it and would like me to do one for our place. I swear last time I ask! I wish I had your creativity!!!

Best,
Colleen

Evie B. said...

Colleen -

The JOY letters aren't too bad either. What you do is purchase pre-cut letters (you can find these all over the place; craft stores, fabric stores, wood stores, etc.).

My first step is to paint them (I did one white, one green and one red). Then sand as much as you like and stain.

Once the stain is dry, cut a piece of paper slightly larger than the letter you are working on. Using "Modge Podge" (also found at the craft store) paint on a light layer (not too thick or your paper will bubble) and lay the paper in place. I usually turn the letter over onto the paper so the weight of the wood helps seal the deal.

Once these are dry, I use a simple nail file to carefully sand the edges of the paper along the edge of the letter - this removes the excess and gives the letters a nice finished look. Plus, you don't have to worry about trying to cut close enough.

Let me know if you need any more help!

:) Evonne

Blog Widget by LinkWithin