Tuesday, September 29, 2009
I'm willing to bet that there are few projects easier {and cuter} than paper covered door stars. If you haven't noticed already, I'm totally addicted!
The process is simple.
Supplies Needed:
Metal Door Star {found anywhere - garage sale, your local craft store, maybe even already hanging in your house}
Scrapbook Paper {these can be made to match your home, a holiday, a special occasion - anything!}
Modge Podge {or any other brand of a dcoupage finish}
Foam Brushes
Glitter, Ribbon, Trim {optional}
Directions:
Arrange your scrapbook paper in the order you'd like it to be on the star. For my spiderweb star I used the same paper throughout, but my year-round star {the one that hangs when I don't have a holidar star to display} is made of different patterns. You can use as many as you'd like!
I suggest using a piece of paper bag to create a pattern of the shape for your star planes. Keep in mind, each star tip has two planes - they face eachother to make one point. So, if you're mixing papers, be sure you cut the pieces of paper in the right direction.
Making the patterns is simple! Just place your paper bag paper over the star and press into the creases. Once you have a good idea of where to cut, simply use scissors and make your pattern piece. I suggest making the pattern pieces just a tad smaller than the actual piece on the metal star so you don't have any overlap. I tend to like to see a little bit of the metal star between each piece. But, only a suggestion - it's all up to your personal taste!
Once you have all of your paper pieces cut, it's time to modge podge! The easiest way is to work one strip at a time and then to work your way around the star one piece at a time. Don't be afraid of the modge podge, either. Cake it on, place your paper and smooth out any bumps. You may have to watch the pieces and smooth them out as they dry, but the wetter the modge podge surface, the less bumps because it will all dry cohesively.
After letting the paper pieces dry onto your star a bit, cover the entire star with one more layer of modge podge to seal the paper in. At this point, if you want to add some glitter {like I did}, sprinkle it on while the top layer of modge podge is dry. Once everything is dry, feel free to tie on some decorative ribbons, trim or tulle to finish the look.
And there you have it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
I love this! I want to make one! You are so crafty.
Very cute! Thanks for the step by step instructions!
Very cute - my friend is making a bunch of these for us. Yeah
that is the cutest Halloween craft I have seen yet... and sooo easy! Thanks, I'll have to try it:)
It turned out really cute! Nice job!
SO cute! Thanks for the tutorial :)
Post a Comment