Wednesday, April 29, 2009

{tangent}

Follow my thought process, if you can.

At first I was going to post about wanting to start a backyard vegetable garden. Of the usual variety, of course. Those of you that know me know that I'm good at growing babies, but not to skilled at keeping anything green alive. So, the post was going to be a soliciation {I guess it still can be - help!} for advice of how to start, what to plant - you get my drift.

Then, in my search for a fantastic garden picture to post along with my thoughts on the subject, I came across the most nostalgic garden pictures ever. Only, I don't know where to buy seeds for this variety:

cabbage patch kid Pictures, Images and Photos



My childhood obsession revisited. The Cabbage Patch Kid.
Mine was the product of my dad waiting in line at the store {I'm sure, of the Wal-Mart'ish variety} for 6 hours in the midst of the CPK {and we're not talking pizza, people} craze. If you're a child of the 80's, you know. They were a big deal.
Ona Gabriella
I refused to deny her of her given name. It had already been documented at Babyland General and I had the certificate to prove it.

{not Ona, but given their resemblance, I'm sure they're long lost sisters or something}

She had a body of soft goodness, a big plastic head that smelled like heaven and hair as red as it came.

I'll be honest, she wouldn't have been my first choice. I think that in my head I'd pictured something more like myself - darker hair, no freckles, brown eyes. But, given how difficult it was to get one's 6-year-old hands on one of her own, I was happy with anything. And happy we were.

My phase was short-lived, I'm sure. But to this day, when I see one of those cute chubby little dimple faces, I feel happy. I know they have CPK's for kids now, but it's just not the same. Ah, the good ole days.

I've got an idea.

Girls weekend in Atlanta.

I could make us outfits


We could go here


And {if we're feeling wild} maybe get one of these.


p.s. I still need garden help!

I could even pay you in trading cards.

{Although, I never was much of a fan}

7 comments:

Seriously... said...

your jr high bff would love to go to hotlanta with you. CPKs and GPKs....good stuff. Lets wear the puffy paint sweatshirts and each do a side ponytail (i'll do it on the right, you do it on the left) with our home made scrunchies!!! It will be tight. Oh, and don't forget your keds. and 2 pairs of socks (OVER your jeans). And ESPRIT shirt & shoulder bag. We will look FINE.

oh, and my word verification word is brest. which is how i'm sure i spelled breast back in the day. I've never been a good speller.

Julie said...

Love it!!!!!!! I bought Natalie a Cabby for her 2nd Christmas! I think I love her more then Natalie does! I'm in for a trip to Atlanta! And ps...that was one of the best posts ever!

teresa and the boys said...

Bridgette Carissa. She was blond. I wonder where she's gone... *sigh*.

P.S. Dinner was fantastic (Carrino's two-for-$20. YUM!), but we totally missed you guys.

teresa and the boys said...

Also... what's next week like for you? We could totally do garden-y stuff together. I'm pretty handy with a ho. =)

Shanna said...

seriously shut up! I love it! you are crazy

Kim and Chet said...

I just smiled through that whole post as the nostalgia hit me too. How I begged my mom for just ONE while I envied my friend for having 8, as well as the whole variety of clothing and accessories.

Oh, and Garbage Pail Kids...LOVED EM!!! *sigh* how I miss the 80's!

shannon said...

hilarious...i loved mine more than life itself i think. and about the garden thing...i grow a pretty mean garden every year. call me and we can chat about it. there are quite a few things you can grow that are pretty hardy and you can't screw up (lettuce is great!)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin