Monday, March 07, 2011

{layne is 3}

Three years ago I was given a gift;
a beautiful, chubby, sweet baby boy.
He didn't have a name for the first three days
of his life because Beau and I couldn't agree.
Dad had names & mom had names, but neither would budge.
So after a friendly 'intervention' {thanks Auntie Karnen},
we sat down together and found some common ground.

Layne Ray.
9 lbs 12 ounces and hooked up to machines.

To that date, leaving him at the hospital
while we drove home with an empty car seat
was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do.
But he was a rock star - the biggest baby
{by several pounds and inches}
to grace the NICU in some time.
He had visitors and love and prayers and blessings
and pages and pages colored from his sisters at home.
And we made it through.

He came home, he was healthy and he was ours.
And boy was he smothered by those girls {still is}.

And then, the real hardest thing I ever had to go through.
He was covered in the most severe rashes most of us had ever seen.
We tried every cream, ointment and medication we were asked to.
We went to specialists, dermatologists, hospitals.
We were told that he might die.
Biopsies taken and we waited a long week for results.
Family prayers, fasting, support and
love that I'd never experienced in my entire life
occurred that week.
And a miracle.
Negative results.
It went away.
Completely.
Without medical explanation.

And now, three years later the most beautiful
{really, he is} and special boy is with our family,
enjoying life with his sisters,
Thomas the Train, Toy Story 3 and corn dogs.
A mama's boy who loves to play and pretend
and snuggle and sleep with best friend Emmitt {our dog}.
Right where he belongs.











We love you Layne!
Happy Birthday

6 comments:

The J J Glenn Family said...

He is so dreamy. I love this sweet post. Happy Birthday Cute boy! THere is something really special about having a little boy. Love it!

Shanna said...

& that we do! Love that crazy kid! lol what a stud!

Lindsay said...

What a sweet post! Happy Birthday little Layne! Hope it was great! He's so stinkin' handsome, and he's lucky to have you guys!

teresa and the boys said...

Aaawwww... totally love that kid. June still calls him "Bubbas."

Cami Jo said...

Those pictures were darling! Hope he had a great birthday!

Did you get the blocks okay? I hope they turned out okay. My friend said she hit rain AND snow in the car on the way home, with them in the back of the truck. Also, I must apologize with the lack of no-how on my modge-podging skills. Little did I know when I started that the paper bubbles up....a lot. Some are pretty messed up. Just tell the girls to put them up on a high shelf somewhere, and you shouldn't notice it too much!! Thanks again Evonne!

hillary said...

What a sweet post. It made me a little teary. I love the pics too! Maybe someday I'll get Ellie's birthday up. Maybe someday I'll update my blog! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin