Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Trolley Square Shootings

Usually this forum is for me to post news about my kids and new cute pictures for all to see, but tonight I'm writing about something much different and very sobering.

Last night, a young man entered a local shopping area and opened fire on several unassuming people. Several people were killed, and others were hospitalized (many of which were related to one another). Families were kept locked down while police searched the mall for signs of more trouble and to make sure that the way was clear for survivors to return home. Children were separated from their parents in the chaos, only to be reunited some time later. Those lucky enough to escape unharmed, were then treated (as would be necessary in this situation) as if they could be a suspect and were searched and carefully released out into the cold night air.

All because one person decided it was his right to inflict pain on others. His reasoning? I don't know that we'll ever really know. Was he treated badly by his family or his community? Was he teased or bullied? Did he need a friend to help keep him tethered to what is right and good? I can't help but think that there is a lot more behind the reason than we may ever know. And in some strange way it makes me sad for him. Don't get me wrong - he made a choice and should be accountable for it in all ways - but where did his life take such a sad turn? Could it have been prevented?

Maybe it's because I'm a mom now or maybe it's because I live near the location this horrible event took place, but I've been really affected emotionally by this tragedy. I can't stop thinking of how many times Beau and I go out to dinner with the girls and how we've completely taken our safety for granted. How many times I'm at the grocery store and assume that everyone there has the same simple goal as I do - to feed my family - not to rob the cashier next to me for 50 bucks. I think of the times that my kids are buckled in the backseat of our car and how safe I feel knowing they are restrained, unaware of the guy in the next lane that's had one too many to drink. I think of the vulnerability that we all live with because of the right every person has to make our own decisions, no matter their intent.

I guess for me, it's finding the balance of sympathy (for those affected by this and other tragedies) and personal peace (letting go of my current lack of comfort). I can't let the what-if's guide my life - if I do, all the crazies out there win. I'm sure it will come with time for all of us, but something like this inevitably instills a sense of caution in us all. The best thing I can do is be my best - in my relationships with my family and friends - and take reasonable caution where possible (I'll still buckle my girls in the car, no doubt). I just pray that this wave of uncertainty passes quickly.

My heart and prayers go out to all those affected by these events. I hope that we can all take them to heart and really pay attention to the way we treat one another. You never know how your attitude can change the intent of a stranger.

Thanks for lending me the soapbox. I already feel much better! For those of you not familiar with the story, here is a link to catch up.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=890580

3 comments:

Mands Glenn said...

I havent stopped thinking about it either. Thanks for writing about this sad sad time. It makes me want to never let little Lilly outside. What kind of world are our little girls going to grow up in?

shannon said...

i am with you 100%. i worked at that mall for 3 years, and one of the shootings happened right in front of my old store. it makes me very grateful i work in a secure building with strict limited access now. so scary...

Beau & Lenette said...

I remember having very similar thoughts after 9/11 and everytime since then when I hear of something tragic like that happening. The families are always in my prayers
It realy is a reality check that none of us are immune from tradgedy. I tend to put my trust in the Lord that heaven forbid I find myself in any kind of situation like that, that he will help me to carry myself through it.
It doesn't help that here in Florida they have the highest concetration of sex offenders! and that I happen to live just off of the deadliest Highway in the US! Just another reason why Florida is a great vacation destination and not a place to live.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin