Monday, April 19, 2010

{cookie sheet lap desks}

After a few inquiries
regarding these pictures {see post below}
from our camping trip this weekend,
I decided I'd better post
more pictures of the lap desks
that I made for the kids to use
on the long drive down.

Long story short, I couldn't find any at the store.
So a $3.50 pack of Walmart cookie sheets {3 sizes},
fabric scraps at home {skulls for Layne, pink for the girls},
and a hefty bag of batting later,
we left town with these.

I plan on refining the construction a little
and giving them another, less rushed, try soon.
And when I do, I'll post a full tutorial
so that your little ones can be as content
in the backseat for a long drive
as mine were this weekend.

They were lifesaving for lunch in the truck,
coloring millions of pictures,
reading books and searching through look-and-finds.
And even helped with a nap or two or three
{the soft side worked wonders}.





Just remember
that these pictures are post-trip, so
fingerprints should be ignored.

6 comments:

The J J Glenn Family said...

Yes, I saw that in one of your pics and wanted to know more about it. I would love the full tutorial soon. So so cute and I know we would use them so much with all the trips we are taking.

Shanna said...

Way to go my kids want them!

Lisa Danielson said...

so creative! how did they work out--did the kids like them?? thanks for the neat idea!!

hillary said...

You rock! Thanks for posting about this & I will eagerly await your tutorial b/c the day before I read your first post I saw Layne's, I bought 3 crayola lapdesks for $15 EACH! And they're not cute. I want to return them & make some like yours.

Lindsay said...

Hey, thanks! I shot those bridals at the Garden Park Ward downtown in Salt Lake. I can't remember the exact coordinates, but I can find out...something like 1100 E, 1300 S (no, I have no idea, but something like that.) It was fun! And she was gorgeous, so it was easy!

sherral said...

I totally forgot to tell you! I followed your suggestion and made them for our trip to Disneyland. The kids LOVED them. I was skeptical as we are always shuffling stuff around and trying to find enough room for all they want to have with them...but seriously these were more key than the DVD player this trip. They colored for hours! It took me 30 minutes to make 3 (I followed your revised suggestion of the pillow). Oh and I found the perfect "cup" accessory for them, ask me and I'll tell ya. THANKS!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin